Qualifications for SHAPE
(Safety and Health Award for Public Employees)
Eligibility - To be considered for participation in SHAPE the public employer must meet the following criteria:
- There is not presently the possibility of a workers compensation claim in arbitration or litigation within the establishment.
- Establishment has had a comprehensive safety inspection from a Kansas Department of Labor (KDOL) consultant within the last five years. If not, the employer may set up an appointment to obtain an inspection by contacting KDOL
at: Phone: (785)296-4386 ext. 2319 or ext. 2307 E-mail to: IndSafetyHealth@dol.ks.gov.
- If you have received a comprehensive Safety inspection from a KDOL consultant within the past five years, all of the hazards found have been corrected.
- The entity must qualify with the minimum requirement for the Kansas level listed below. To determine that qualification:
- Identify the size of the entity by referencing the total number of employees. Please include both full time and part time (FTE/PTE).
- Calculate the number of days without a lost-time accident/incident (LTA). Click here
for further explanation of what constitutes an LTA.
- All applicants must begin at the first level, the Kansas Level. The minimum number of years to qualify is listed under the Kansas level. Each additional level equates to one additional year without a lost-time accident after
beginning the program at the Kansas level.
If the employer meets all of the above qualifications; click the "Apply for SHAPE" button to print or submit an application electronically.
Thank you for your interest in our program and the continued safety and health of Kansas employees.