Accident Prevention

Under state law K.S.A. 44-5,104, insurance companies and group-funded self-insurance plans providing workers compensation coverage to employers in Kansas are to provide certain safety services to those they insure.

Accident Prevention for Employers

If you have requested assistance in your safety and health program and your workers compensation carrier denied you assistance, please contact our office at (785) 296-4000 ext. 2152.

Email Alan Stanton or contact us at:
Kansas Department of Labor
Industrial Safety and Health Division
417 SW Jackson ST.
Topeka, Kansas 66603-3327
(785) 296-4000 ext. 2152

Accident Prevention for Insurance Companies and Group-Funded Self-Insurance Plans

Insurance companies and group-funded self-insurance plans must file form K-ISH 28 with the Kansas Department of Labor annually after the close of the Fiscal Year (June 30). The reporting period is from July 1 through June 30 each year. This report has to be received no later than August 31, unless an extension has been requested and granted.

For more information about this report, including the online form and instructions, see Year-end Accident Prevention Report.

Frequently Asked Questions

What information will be gathered under an Accident Prevention inspection?

The inspections provide information, as well as statistics, for each of the insurance companies and group-funded self-insurance plans licensed to write workers compensation coverage in Kansas. This ensures they are providing services at the request of a policyholder, submitting an annual report, that their field safety representatives are qualified and the notice required under Kansas statute, is on the front of every policy delivered or issued for delivery in this state.

Why should I participate as an insurance company or group-funded self-insurance plan?

Under Kansas statute K.S.A. 44-5, 104, you must maintain accident prevention services and provide such services at the request of a policyholder as a prerequisite for authority to provide such insurance or coverage in the state of Kansas.

Who do I contact with questions about Accident Prevention Services?

Please contact the Accident Prevention Administrator at (785) 296-4000 ext. 2152 or by email.

What does the Accident Prevention Administrator monitor?

Accident prevention under the Industrial Safety and Health Division of the Kansas Department of Labor, monitors provisions of K.S.A. 44-5, 104 to ensure insurance companies and group-funded self-insurance plans are complying with the statute.