If you are an employer with employees in more than one state, you are a multistate employer.
Multistate employers have two options for reporting their new hires:
Report newly hired employees to the state in which they are working, following the new hire regulations of each state to which you will report. Click here
for information on other states' new hire reporting offices.
Select one state where you have employees working and report all new hires to that state electronically. Click here
for more information on electronic reporting.
When you select Option 2, you are required to follow the new hire regulations of only the state you have selected to receive your new hire reports. Employers choosing this method can save
time and money by consolidating their new hire reports and electronically submitting them to a single state.
Note: You may not report new hires using both Option 1 and Option 2.
If you choose Option 2 for reporting your new hires, you must notify the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as to which state you have designated to receive all of your new hire
information. This is called "Multistate employer registration." You can notify the Department in one of the following three ways:
- You can register as a "Multistate employer" using the federal Office of Child Support Enforcement’s Multistate Reporting website: https://ocsp.acf.hhs.gov/OCSE/
You may notify the Department of Health and Human Services using an optional form. Download a copy from the OCSE website at:
or call (410) 277-9470 to request a copy of the form. Once completed, the form can be faxed or mailed to the OCSE:
Department of Health and Human Services
Administration for Children and Families
Office of Child Support Enforcement
Multistate Employer Notification
P.O. Box 509
Randallstown, MD 21133
Fax: (410) 277-9325
- Alternatively, you may mail or fax a notification to the address listed above using your own letterhead or form, being sure to include the following information:
- Employer's legal name
- Employer's Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) ̶ If you have more than one FEIN, please make certain you use the same FEIN you use to report your quarterly wage information when reporting new hires
- Employer's address
- Employer's phone number
- Employer's contact name
- Employer's contact phone number
- State to which employer will be reporting
- A list of all states in which the employer currently has employees
Remember, Multistate employers must electronically report the following information for each new hire:
Employee Information: You must report the employee’s name, address and Social Security number. You also need to report the employee’s state of hire if you are reporting as a Multistate employer.
Employer Information: You must report the employer’s name, address, Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) and indicate if you are reporting as a Multistate employer. If you have more than one FEIN, please
make certain you use the same FEIN you use to report your quarterly wage information when reporting new hires.
Multistate new hire reports must be submitted electronically via our website, or as a file that adheres to our file submission layout specifications. Click here for more information on electronic reporting.
If you have questions about Multistate reporting, contact us.