Frequently Asked Questions About Kansas Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

The Kansas Division of Workers Compensation (KDWC) appreciates input from current and potential trading partners regarding the EDI program. Past input has raised important issues and in response, the division has continued its effort to clarify or rethink its requirements.

If you have a question that is not in these FAQs and feel it would be helpful to include it, send your suggestions to the division via this contact information. Periodically, this set of Frequently Asked Questions will be updated.

When is a First Report of Injury (FROI) required to be reported (medical-only as well as indemnity)? Do all incidents, regardless of medical aid, get reported via EDI?

All claim types on a First Report of Injury (FROI) are reportable to the State of Kansas

Either an Original First Report of Injury (FROI 00) or a Denial First Report of Injury (FROI 04), as applicable, must be submitted to Kansas Division of Workers Compensation following an accident or occupational exposure "…if the personal injuries which are sustained by such accidents, are sufficient wholly or partially to incapacitate the person injured from labor or service for more than the remainder of the day, shift or turn on which such injuries were sustained" (K.S.A.44-557(a))

Kansas Division of Workers Compensation understands that K.S.A.44-557(a) merely sets the statutory floor for the timeliness reporting requirement for an Original First Report of Injury or a Denial First Report of Injury. However, any insurance carrier, third party administrator, self-insured employer or group-funded pool may send a FROI 00 for all no-time-loss accidents that do not meet the statutory threshold for mandatory reporting. Reporting entities are strongly encouraged to report any and all injuries regardless of lost time.

What is the current status of EDI Release 3?

As of January 1st, 2014 EDI Release 3 is now mandatory for all First Reports of Injury (FROI) and Subsequent Reports of Injury (SROI) that are submitted to the Kansas Division of Workers Compensation. Kansas began mandating the use of IAIABC EDI Release 3 Standards in April 2013. Implementation of the mandate was carried out in three phases. The first phase (or tier) included those already using EDI Release 1; the other two phases included those new to EDI, with the second phase consisting of larger entities, and the third including smaller entities. Each phase lasted three months, with the third ending in December 2013. All insurance carriers, group-funded pools and self-insured employers are now required to use EDI.

What industry codes (DN025) will Kansas accept?

Kansas accepts the most current North American Industrial Classification System Codes (NAICS).

How do we use the Annual Report (AN) in Release 3?

The annual report (AN) has now been changed into a true annual report. For any claims having indemnity being paid, the AN is required every calendar year that the claim is still open. The date of annual is based off of the date of injury; this report will be due on the date of injury every calendar year. These will be required every year until a final (FN) is reported which will close the claim.

In what instance would DN154 (Employer ID Assigned by Jurisdiction) be used? What is the process for creating this ID?

If there is no available social security number for injured worker, then there will need to be an employee ID sent in its place. This will be assigned by KDWC by emailing or calling contacts below.

Phone (785) 296-4000

David Sprick email: david.sprick@dol.ks.gov
Robert Soria email: robert.soria@dol.ks.gov
Derek Van email: derek.van@dol.ks.gov
Jessica Webb email: jessica.webb@dol.ks.gov

What is the new MTC code PY? When is it used?

A PY identifies a lump sum payment/settlement report for indemnity claims only. If the first indemnity payment is included in a lump sum payment/settlement, do not send the IP or AP send the PY.

Where did the MTC code FS go?

The code has been replaced by MTC code EP (Employer Paid). Other than the name and acronym of the MTC code, there has been no change. Use the EP in all instances that an FS was previously used.

When reporting via EDI, what will Closed Claims Study (CCS) reporting obligations be?

Entities will no longer be required to participate in the Closed Claim Study, because the reporting requirements will be met through EDI.

Do you have a list of approved vendors?

A list of EDI vendors that are currently submitting workers compensation claim reports in other jurisdictions and that have proven technical and business capability to comply with the Kansas EDI Implementation Guide can be found here.

Do we submit an EDI Subsequent Report of Injury (SROI) on claims for which we previously submitted a paper First Report of Injury (FROI)?

No, it will be EDI only going forward. EDI SROIs can only be submitted if you have filed an EDI FROI.

What are the procedures for becoming an EDI Trading Partner

Read through the EDI Trading Partner Process document to see all steps that need to be taken to become an EDI Trading Partner. Kansas Trading Partner Agreement and Profile are also available on the website.

Also, the Kansas EDI Coordinator at EBIX can walk you through the process and answer any testing or transmission questions or concerns.

Where can I find the Kansas EDI Implementation Guide?

Here is the Kansas Electronic Data Interchange Implementation Guide.

How do I contact someone at the State of Kansas who deals with EDI? What other resources are there for doing EDI with the State of Kansas?

The Kansas Electronic Data Interchange Implementation Guide lists many of the options available, or see contact information at bottom of page.

Where can I find the IAIABC Release 3 Implementation Guide? Where do I find the Data Dictionary?

Here is the IAIABC website, which has the Implementation Guide available for purchase under EDI, Implementation Guides (Claims 3.0). The data dictionary can be found in section 6.

For assistance, call 785-296-4000

David Sprick email: david.sprick@dol.ks.gov
Robert Soria email: robert.soria@dol.ks.gov
Derek Van email: derek.van@dol.ks.gov
Jessica Webb email: jessica.webb@dol.ks.gov