Reporting Basics

Why is new hire reporting required?
When do I have to report?
Who is required to report?
What do I have to report?
How do I report new hires?
Where do I report new hires?

Why is new hire reporting required?

Young Girl and Boy

In 1996, Congress enacted a law called the "Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act" as part of welfare reform. This legislation created the requirement for employers in all 50 states to report their new hires and rehires to a state directory.

New hire reporting speeds up the child support income withholding order process, expedites collection of child support from parents who change jobs frequently and quickly locates non-custodial parents to help in establishing paternity and child support orders. New hire reporting helps children receive the support they deserve. Employers serve as key partners in ensuring financial stability for many children and families and should take pride in their role.

New hire reporting also allows states to reduce unemployment benefit overpayments and fraud.

For more information on this law, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions.

When do I have to report?
K.S.A. 75-5743 requires all employers to submit their new hire reports within 20 days after the employee is hired or re-hired. Under federal regulations, employers who submit reports electronically shall submit the reports by two monthly transmissions, if necessary, which are not less than 12 days or more than 16 days apart.

Back to Top

Who is required to report?
Employers and/or labor organizations doing business in Kansas must report the following employees:

New employees: Employers must report all employees who reside or work in the State of Kansas to whom the employer anticipates paying earnings. Employees should be reported even if they work only one day and are terminated (prior to the employer fulfilling the new hire reporting requirement).

Re-hires or re-called employees: Employers must report re-hires, or employees who return to work after being laid off, furloughed, separated, granted a leave without pay or terminated from employment within 20 days of re-hire. Termination of employment does not include temporary separations from employment, such as unpaid medical leave, an unpaid leave of absence, a temporary layoff of less than 60 days in length or an absence for disability or maternity.

Back to Top

What do I have to report?

Required Employee Information Required Employer Information
Employee’s full name (first, middle and last) Employer’s corporate name
Employee’s address Employer’s address (where income Withholding Orders should be sent)
Employee’s Social Security number Employer’s Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). If you have more than one FEIN, make sure to use the FEIN used to report your quarterly wage information to KDOL.
Employee’s date of hire
Employee’s state of hire (only if a Multistate employer)

Optional Employee Information Optional Employer Information
Employee’s date of birth Employer’s phone name
Employee’s state of hire Employer’s Fax number
Dependent health insurance availability Employer’s email address

For questions about reporting for Multistate employers, click here.

Back to Top

How do I report new hires?
The Kansas New Hire Directory offers many options that make it easy for employers to report new hires. The options available are listed below.

Electronic Reporting

Data Entry Method:
  1. Login to the KansasEmployer.gov site.
  2. Choose the Select button that corresponds to the "Enter new hire information" option.
  3. Enter the hiring company's FEIN and Kansas Serial Number.
  4. If you are a Liable Employer, select "Continue" from the Liable Employer Verification page.
  5. If you are a Non-liable Employer you can use the Switch to Non-Liable Verification link at this point. You would need your FEIN and zip code.
  6. Enter the new hire information.
  7. Select "Update."
  8. A confirmation message "Employee record inserted successfully" will appear briefly at the top of the page.
  9. If the hiring company has additional new hire data to enter, they can do so immediately (step 6 above) as the user will remain on the data entry page after submitting the data in step 7.
Upload Method:
  1. Login to the KansasEmployer.gov site.
  2. Choose the Select button that corresponds to the "Upload new hire information file" option.
  3. Select the Submit button to choose your new hire data file for upload.
  4. Select Browse to locate your file.
  5. Choose Open on the pop-up screen once you have found and selected the data file.
  6. Select Upload. (This process copies the data file to our server but it does not actually process the data in it.)
  7. Select Add New Hires to process the uploaded new hire data.
  8. A “Submission Complete” message will display indicating the number of records in the new hire data file which were successfully processed.
  9. If the hiring company has additional new hire data upload files to process, they can select the Back to Upload Page option which will return them to step 3 above.
Click here for detailed instructions and electronic data transmission methods for creating electronic new hire reports.

Non-Electronic Reporting

Printed List - If you are unable to export your new hire information in an electronic format, you might be able to have your software create a printed list containing the required new hire data.

The printed list should contain all of the required information on the New Hire Reporting Form, should be created using at least a 10-point font size, and have the employer's name (please use corporate name), Federal Employer Identification Number and address clearly displayed at the top of the report.

W-4 Form - If you choose to submit page 1 of a completed W-4 form as a new hire report, please ensure that each W-4 is easily readable and has the employer’s name, Federal Employer Identification Number and address written at the top of each form.

The address and Fax numbers for submitting printed materials are found below.

Other Reporting Methods
Payroll Service: If you use a payroll or accounting service, consider asking the service to report your new hires for you. Leading payroll services are already electronically reporting new hires for thousands of employers.

Back to Top

Where do I report new hires?
Electronic Reports - Electronic Reporting is covered under How do I report new hires above.

Non-Electronic Reports - Paper new hire reports may either be faxed or mailed to our Center.

Mail reports to:
Kansas New Hire Directory
P.O. Box 3510
Topeka, KS 66601-3510
Fax reports to:
Toll-free: (888) 219-7798 or
(785) 291-3423
(785) 291-3424

Please call the Kansas New Hire Directory toll-free at (888) 219-7801 or (785) 296-5000, ext. 7700, during the work week with any questions regarding the new hire reporting process.

Back to Top