Injured Workers

Employee Responsibilities
Employees are responsible for reporting an injury to the employer. If the employer has not specified a written policy on who employees should report to, the employee should report to their direct supervisor. This can be a manager, Human Resources or a safety director. If there is no assigned delegate, the employee should report to their immediate supervisor.

Guide to Benefits
The following is general information for injured employees. Additional information for employees can be found on Form K-WC 27-A. If there are still questions, contact the division’s Claims Advisers Section for further information.

Get Help
Claims Advisers (Ombudsmen) specialize in aiding injured workers, employers and insurance professionals with claims information and problems arising from job related injuries and illnesses. They act in an impartial manner and are available to provide the parties with general information about the current issues within the workers compensation system. For example, the ombudsmen have current information on changes in the law due to legislation, or decisions made by the Workers Compensation Appeals Board, the Court of Appeals or the Supreme Court. The Ombudsman Section can also assist parties on specific issues with current workers compensation claims.

Mediation is a means of resolving disputes in an informal and non-adversarial atmosphere. The issues that can be mediated are not restricted to medical or temporary total disability benefits.

The parties to a dispute use a neutral third party to facilitate discussion. The mediator’s job is to assist the parties in identifying the issues in dispute and establishing common goals. The mediator has no decision-making authority or interest in the outcome of the dispute.

The key to mediation is self-determination or allowing the parties to work through their dispute and create their own agreements.

Forms and Publications
The K-WC 1101-A Accident Report has been removed from Kansas Department of Labor’s Workers Compensation Division website permanently. As many of you are aware, as of December 31, 2013 electronic reporting of accidents to the Workers Compensation Division became mandatory for all reporting entities (carriers, third party administrators, group-funded self-insured pools, and self-insured employers), except for a few entities granted an extension for extenuating circumstances. The Workers Compensation Division no longer accepts the K-WC 1101-A.

Frequently Asked Questions