Other Employer Requirements

Employers in Kansas are subject to other provisions that are under the responsibilities of the Kansas Department of Labor.

Kansas New Hire Directory Reporting
Employers are required to report new hires or rehires pursuant to K.S.A. 75-5743. Maintenance of a new hire database is required by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-193). The child support enforcement components require states to maintain a new hire database.

The laws require that within 20 days of each new hire, rehire or employee returning to work from an extended layoff, the employer must report:     

The Social Security number, name, address and hire date of the new hire
The employer’s Federal ID number (nine digits) with the employer’s corporate name and address

There are a variety of ways to comply with the statute. We encourage electronic reporting. It is the best method for updating current employment information. Some employers mail or fax a W-4 with items 1, 2, 8 and 10 completed. Some alternative reports designed by the employer are acceptable. More information about reporting new hires and the importance of doing so can be found on the website at our New Hire Directory.

Where to report

  • Go online at www.KansasEmployer.gov and login Upload a formatted file from www.KansasEmployer.gov
  • By mail: New Hire Directory, PO Box 3510, Topeka, KS 66601-3510
  • By fax: (888) 219-7798; Topeka area employers may fax to our local numbers, 291-3423 or 291-3424.
  • To comply with the 1991 Telephone Consumer Protection Act, a cover page may be necessary.

Your uploaded file must be formatted to the file specifications If you receive a rejection, review the error message and make corrections to your file before uploading again.

Multi-State Employers
Employers with workers in several states may elect to report them to a single state. Multi-state employers who elect to report to a single state must:

  • Report all new hires, rehires and returns to work.
  • Submit electronic reports twice a month in a file meeting the specifications of that state.
  • Notify U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:

Multi-state Employer Registration
Office of Child Support Enforcement
Department of Health and Human Services
P. O. Box 509
Randallstown, MD 21133-0509 

For more information about the New Hire Directory

Email: KDOL.NewHires@ks.gov
Call toll free (888) 219-7801
In Topeka, call (785) 296-5000 Ext. 7700

Kansas Minimum Wage
The Kansas minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. All employees not covered by the Federal Fair Labor Standard Act must be paid Kansas minimum wage. Contact Federal Wage and Hour at (913) 551-5721 to inquire about whether your company is covered by the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

Required Posters
Federal and Kansas State law requires that certain posters be displayed in the work place. Businesses are required to display as many as nine posters; only eight if not employing anyone under 18 years of age. All are available for download and printing on the Internet.

Required State Posters

EEOC Poster: The Equal Opportunity in Employment Poster is available from the Kansas Human Rights Commission
Order it by phone or mail at: Kansas Human Rights Commission
900 SW Jackson, Suite 851-S
Topeka, Kansas 66612
1-888-793-6874 / (785) 296-3206
(785) 296-0245 (TTY)

Kansas Indoor Clean Air Act: from Kansas Department of Health and Environment
No smoking sign and information about the Act
Child Labor Poster: from KDOL

Unemployment Insurance: from KDOL

Workers Compensation: from KDOL
Posting notice, K-WC 40-A

Required Federal Posters
Those required to be posted are about EEOC, Polygraph, Federal Minimum Wage, FMLA, OSHA and USERRA. More information about these posters and download information can be found on the KDOL website.

Workers Compensation
Kansas law provides that those injured in industrial accidents should be compensated regardless of who is at fault. Current workers compensation law covers all employers in Kansas, regardless of the number of employees or the kind of work they do, with two exceptions: employers engaged in agricultural pursuits and any employer who during a given calendar year has an estimated payroll less than $20,000, unless the employer is a subcontractor.

The State of Kansas pays no workers compensation benefits to injured workers unless they are state employees. Private employers pay all benefits owed to their injured workers, either directly from the employer’s own resources or indirectly through another party. While most covered employers obtain insurance from private carriers or group pools, provisions in the law establish criteria for certain employers to become self-insured. Potentially eligible employers must apply for approval to use the self-insurance option from the Director of Workers Compensation. The Kansas Insurance Department approves the formation of group-funded self-insurance pools and determines whether employers qualify for membership in a pool.

KDOL administers the Kansas Workers Compensation program.

For more information contact the Division of Workers Compensation at (785) 296-4000 or refer to the Practice & Procedure Guide.

Workplace Safety
The Industrial Safety and Health Division is charged with helping Kansas businesses prevent workplace illnesses and injuries. This is done through free safety and health consultations that help employers find potential hazards at their work sites.

The division provides both educational and safety incentive programs to assist employers develop and continuously improve safety at their facilities. For more information, call (785) 296-4386.