Labor Relations FAQs

The Kansas Department of Labor Labor Relations Division acts on behalf of the Public Employee Relations Board (PERB) to administer the Public Employer Employee Relations Act (PEERA) and for the Secretary of Labor to administer the Professional Negotiations Act (PNA). These Kansas laws, enacted more than 35 years ago, establish the right of public employees in Kansas to organize and negotiate with public employers regarding terms and conditions of employment and grievances. Please select from a Labor Relations category below to get more help. 

Labor Negotiations

Who is a public employee?

According to statute, "public employee" means any person employed by any public agency – state, county, city, school district, etc., except those persons classified as supervisory employees or professional employees of school districts, as defined by subsection (c) of K.S.A. 72-2218, elected and management officials, and confidential employees.

Are all government employees covered by the Office of Labor Relations?

No. However, each city, country, or district must willingly elect to be covered under the provisions of PEERA through a vote within the city, county, or district’ governing body. Generally, supervisory and confidential employees are excluded from coverage under PEERA.

Who can represent a public employee in a labor negotiation?

For example, a public employee such as a police officers may elect the Fraternal Order of Police to represent them in a lablor negotiation. 

What if I want to request a mediator or fact finder?

Requests can be made by letter or e-mail. If submitting a request by letter, send the letter to 401 SW Topeka Blvd, Topeka, KS 66603-3182. If sending via e-mail, send to

What is the difference between a mediator and a fact finder?

A mediator helps to resolve contractual disputes. If the mediator is not successful in resolving a contractual dispute, they proceed to a fact finder who will issue a non-binding ruling. 

Can I look up decisions that have been made concerning past complaints?

Yes, the decisions on past complaints can be found on our website under the Professional Negotiations Act Decisions. These decisions are searchable by date, subject or key word.

Where is the form to return information to you and what do I need to send?

Please visit the Labor Relations Division page for access to all PNA and PEERA forms. Be sure to read the instructions for each type of form as the requirements do vary. Generally, you are required to submit the original and several copies. The number of copies depends on the form. The original may require notarization and cannot be submitted electronically but must be sent by Certified Mail.

Please be sure that the form is filled out completely, or it will be returned to you.

On the election form for representation, it requires 30 percent showing of interest. Is that 30 percent of the union or 30 percent of those covered by the contract?

It is 30 percent of the individuals who will be covered by the agreement being negotiated. The election will be conducted by mail. The Office of Labor Relations sends a ballot to each voter and counts the ballots when they are mailed back.

I have a question about wages I earned that were not paid to me. Can you help me with that?

Questions about unpaid wages and other Kansas workplace laws such as breaks and child labor are under the jurisdiction of the KDOL Employment Standards unit. Contact Employment Standards at (785) 296-5000 ext. 1068 or

What about my public pension plan? Is KPERS subject to Labor Relations?

No, the Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS) is not part of the Office of Labor Relations but can be contacted at the below.

Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS)

611 S Kansas Ave, Suite 100
Topeka, KS 66603-3869

(888) 275-5737 (Toll-Free)
(785) 296-6166 (Topeka)
(785) 296-0196 (FAX)