An overpayment occurs when an individual is paid Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits that they were not owed. This can happen for a number of reasons. For example, the claimant may have underreported wages, incorrectly listed their reason for separation, or they may have been unable or unavailable for work while receiving unemployment benefits. When KDOL determines that an individual received more in UI benefits than they were owed, the agency sends a Notice of Determination by mail. 

If you never filed an unemployment claim or received unemployment benefits payments but received one of the notices below:

-Notice of Determination with Overpayment from KDOL,
-Notice of Intent from the Kansas Debt Setoff Program, or
-Any other collection letter related to unemployment benefits

Please fill out the following Unsworn Declaration of Payments Not Received/Identity Theft Form (K-FRD 100) and upload the completed form to the KDOL Self-Service Portal.

PURSUANT TO LAW: ALL UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE BENEFIT OVERPAYMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO REPAYMENT TO THE KANSAS DEPARTMENT OF LABOR. As a general rule, an overpayment does not result in recovery efforts by the state of Kansas until after an overpayment determination has been made, all appeals have been resolved, and time for further appeals has been exhausted. Overpayment Asset Recovery efforts begin after the overpayment amount is no longer eligible to be appealed and the determinations have been finalized and subject only to collection and recovery efforts. Questions regarding the appeal process can be found in the Appeal FAQs.

Overpayment balances are mailed directly to claimants. If you need to obtain your current overpayment balance, email KDOL.repayagree@ks.gov. Include your full name, UID and/or last four (4) digits of your Social Security number. Do not include your full Social Security number. Requests with insufficient identifying information will not be answered.

Pay Online

The majority of individuals who receive notice of overpayment pay online for a quick and reliable solution to resolve their debt. KDOL partners with Official Payments Corporation to give individuals the ability to pay fees online or by phone at 1-800-272-9829.  


Note: You may only make a full payment online.  Partial payments need to be made by check creating a Voluntary Repayment Plan.  Instructions are below.

Process for Online Payment

  • Select State Payments on the main screen
  • Enter 2611 as the Jurisdiction Code, OR Select Kansas as the State or Territory
  • Select the Kansas Department of Labor as the Payment Entity.
  • Select Benefit Overpayment as the Payment Type

Pay by Mail

  • Payments on an overpayment account may be made by check, money order or cashier’s check. Make your check or money order payable to Kansas Department of Labor and mail to Kansas Department of Labor Attn: Fiscal Department, 401 SW Topeka Blvd., Topeka, KS 66603.
  • Please include the last four digits of your Social Security number on your payments. DO NOT PLACE YOUR FULL SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON THE FORM OF PAYMENT.
  • Do not send cash.
  • Include sufficient information on the payment form to identify the account to which the payment is to be applied, e.g., First, middle and last name and a phone number or the UID # located on the statements.

Pay by Phone

Call toll-free: (800) 272-9829 (select option 2, use jurisdiction code 2611)

Voluntary repayment plans are available for individuals unable to pay the entire amount owed at once. Voluntary repayment plans are not binding. However, the benefit to making timely and suitable payments is to avoid a potential garnishment from your current place of employment or a third-party.

A voluntary repayment plan is your promise of how you intend to pay the full overpayment amount. Plans you submit are neither accepted nor rejected, and there is no return confirmation, but are left open for your performance of your stated intentions. Remember to make each payment when due. It is your responsibility to submit payments each month. Under any repayment plan, a final payment may be larger or smaller than any recurring payment amount. Failure to timely make a payment will mean that there is no plan in place and will result in a collection. Making timely and suitable payments under a repayment plan may extend your time to repay the overpayment and does not compromise or reduce the balance of your overpayment account. In addition, your voluntary payments may not prevent KDOL from offsetting other monies including, but not limited to, tax returns, offsets, future UI benefits or other benefits.

If you want to establish a repayment plan, provide your personal information, the current balance and suggested monthly repayment of your overpayment account. Submit a completed; signed Overpayment Repayment Plan form (K-Ben 899) with an initial payment to the Kansas Department of Labor. 

Kansas Department of Labor
Attn: Benefit Overpayment Collections Unit
401 SW Topeka Blvd
Topeks, KS 66603

Note: Include your name and the last four (4) digits of your Social Security number on the check, money order or cashier’s check.  DO NOT SEND CASH.
Note: You may use the self-service tool listed above to obtain your current balance or call the Benefit Overpayment Collections Unit at 785-296-3609

If you wish to have your employer withhold a certain amount from each paycheck to pay off a debt to the Kansas Department of Labor, please complete the Voluntary Assignment of Wages/Earning (K-COLL 100).

Kansas Department of Labor
Benefit Overpayment Collections Unit

401 SW Topeka Blvd
Topeka, KS 66603-3182