Like states all across the country, Kansas is seeing an increase in reports of unemployment claim fraud due to identify theft. In an effort to combat these fraudsters, KDOL has increased our security measures. Claimants may be required to provide additional identity verification in order to receive unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. H.B. 2196 now allows claimants to verify their identity before a Kansas law enforcement officer. This form will be used by KDOL to establish the claimant's identity and, if the claimant is found eligible for UI benefits, process any outstanding claims.

For questions, please send an email to with the subject line LEO Question.

What documentation does the claimant need to provide?

The claimant must provide one selection from

  • List A
  • a combination of one selection from List B AND one selection from List C.

Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary Form I-551 stamp or temporary Form I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa.
  4. Employment Authorization Document Card (Form I-766)
  5. For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
    1. Foreign passport; and
    2. Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following:
      1. The same name as the passport; and
      2. An endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the porposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
  6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States of the FSM or RMI.

Documents that Establish Identity

  1. Driver's License or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter's registration card
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record
  6. Military dependent's ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to provide a document listed above:

  1. School record or report card
  2. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  3. Day-care or nursery school record

Documents that Establish Employment Authorization

  1. A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card inclues one of the following restrictions:
  2. Certification of report of birth issued by the Department of State (Forms DS-1350, FS-545, FS-240)
  3. Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  4. Native American tribal document
  5. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  6. Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  7. Employment authorization document isssued by the Department of Homeland Security

What other documentation do I need?

As long as you have confirmed that the individual has provided one to two forms of the acceptable documentation listed in the question above and completed the form in its entirety, no additional documentation is needed.

Why do I have to provide payment information?

KDOL is requiring payment information to ensure that when we release benefits that they are sent to the verified claimants bank account or debit card and not to someone who has stolen that person’s identity.

How does my office opt-in to this process? How do I know we have already opted-in?

To participate in the program, a LEO must first opt-in. Please send an e-mail to with Law Enforcement ID Verification Opt In – (Name of your agency) in the subject line.

In the body of the email, please include:

  • the name of the agency,
  • the agency location and hours,
  • the primary point of contact and
  • her/his contact information (phone number and e-mail address)

The name of your agency will be listed on this page if it has opted-in to this process.

What does the Identity Verification do for the claimant?

Identity verification allows us to make sure that benefits are being applied for the correct individual named on the application and not to a fraudster.

It is part of the application process to evaluate the eligibility of each claim for benefits.

A full list of participating law enforcement agencies can be found here.